- Teknisk fysik och matematik
- Data och IT
Ansök senast: 2023-01-27
Four Postdocs in Applied Algebra, Geometry, Combinatorics and Statistics
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The Department of Mathematics at KTH invites applications to four postdoctoral positions.
The positions focus on research in (applied) algebraic geometry, discrete geometry, algebraic statistics, and/or causality. Of particular interest are questions related to homological invariants of algebraic data sets, algebraic and geometric properties of statistical models (including graphical models and neural networks), combinatorial and metric properties of polytopes related to statistical models, algebraic and geometric methods for computer vision, statistical learning and causality.
The Department of Mathematics at KTH offers a high-class, active research environment within a broad spectrum of mathematical fields, including (applied) algebraic geometry, algebraic statistics, discrete geometry, combinatorics, algebraic topology, the mathematical foundations for data and AI, and mathematical statistics. Each postdoctoral position will focus on a subset of these research areas and have one of the following as supervisor:
- Algebraic geometry and its applications. Supervisor: S. Di Rocco. Financed by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.
- Algebraic geometry in AI. Supervisor: K. Kohn. Financed by Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP).
- Discrete geometry and combinatorics in AI. Supervisor: K. Jochemko. Financed by Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP).
- Algebraic statistics, applied combinatorics, mathematical statistics and/or causality. Supervisor: L. Solus. Financed by Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP).
We welcome applications from all interested candidates. Candidates that have the possibility to interact with more than one of the above supervisors as well as other members of the Department of Mathematics at KTH will be strongly considered. All four positions are time-limited two-year positions that may include up to 20% teaching responsibilities (the equivalent of approximately one masters-level course per year). All positions have a tentative start-date of 1 September 2023, or an agreed upon date between the individual supervisor and candidate.
What we offer
- An interactive and large group of researchers interested in applied algebra, combinatorics, geometry and statistics.
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future.
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, this eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
We seek four candidates with a background in areas related to one of the following: non-linear algebra, algebraic geometry, discrete geometry, applied combinatorics, algebraic statistics or causality, or a related field such as graphical models, combinatorial optimization and/or mathematical statistics.
The successful application will be a highly motivated researcher, capable of working both independently as well as in collaboration with other researchers.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
A strong emphasis will be placed on scientific skills, research expertise and pedagogical skills.
Awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webpage.
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- A copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account as to why you want to conduct research in the group at KTH, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals (max two pages long).
- Research Statement (max 2 pages).
- Contact information for two references.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Anställningsform: visstidsanställning längre än 6 månader | Anställningens omfattning: heltid | Antal lediga befattningar: 4 | Sysselsättningsgrad: 100 % | Ort: Stockholm | Län: Stockholms län | Land: Sweden | Referensnummer: S-2022-2055 | Kontakt: Liam Solus firstname.lastname@example.org, | Publicerat: 2022-11-01 | Sista ansökningsdag: 2022-12-12